12.13.2007

1.5.2 : Tales of Autumn's Rising

Suddenly, I wince, realizing that I have, yet again failed my Mistress. Had I not told her before I checked when she last remembered that I would simply immerse her in my memories? I had, and she seems to be remembering that now, agitation on her features. I didn't grind my teeth, this time. Taking her hand in my two small gloved hands, I look away from her. "My apologies. Here they are." The formal words complete, I settle into my mind quietly.

I take a moment first, to find the memories. I had cataloged them for when she would return, knowing that I would need them. Calling up the mental image of a filing system, I thumb through the files, finding the one marked 'important: disappearance XIV.' Extracting it, I review the memory quickly, allowing it to take over my mind completely before allowing her in as well, opening the path between our minds.

Momentarily, I stop breathing. Her thoughts flood into my mind at first; she has forgotten how to shield. Knowing better than to panic, as it would spread between us too quickly at this rapture, I snap shields over her quickly. The thoughts stopped attacking my mind all at once, and only the remnants of her embarrassment tainted the air as I released the river of memories between us, filtering them in chronological order to make confusion minimum.

I watch the images, reliving the last few months as she lives them through my form.

We step into autumn, when the acid rains have moved on and only the destruction and cold remain. I am walking through the streets of the city, preparing for another Council meeting. Though Ritophe was threat no more, there were others that doubted my Mistress' complete control, and in her absence, my presence would serve reminder. I take pride in that, and that pride had filled me on the day that we had stepped into.

It was not enough, though, to be convincing, as the Eldest started to pick apart my Mistress' exit again. Attempting to intervene, I stand up in frustration. "You have never doubted her in the past. She will return, and once more, she will be stronger than before as always." I watch myself utter, slamming my fist on the table, grabbing their attention at last. It has always been my way to be silent at the meetings. It lends more attention to my voice when I need it. The rest of the Council stared at me, as I held the glare of the Eldest. Anger resonated within me still, even now.

My Mistress' approval of my behavior prodded me onward.

No comments: