12.15.2007

1.5.3: Memories of Autumn's Fall

My apologies for another late post. Finals + the holiday season, silly excuses. Unfortunate circumstances. Blah Blah. Without further adieu.

The peace fell from my Mistress' face as the scene unraveled.

"Look at this foul Misshapen! Acting as if its Mistress," the way he acidly spat the word out as a mockery of our bond was causing my blood to boil again, though I kept a lock on my emotions to avoid flooding her with them. It would do neither of us any good for the backlash to send us into shared Rage. "were here. Know you not what you are, Misshapen fiend?" The Elder inquired, raising an eyebrow coolly at me. There was no time to answer before his gaze passed over the others, his head shaking as he began what I quickly recognized as the Call to Banning.

"This Misshapen does not hold any power here, friends. Though Shaen left her vote with it, her vote little matters while she wanders off on flights of fancy."

"Flights of fancy? What she does now she does for the mission as well as what you do now!" I defended loudly, but rather than acknowledge my words or even my presence, the Elder rose his voice, as if I were some creature mewling pathetically in the street to be spoken over. My glare is focused on him as I fall to silence in my frustration. If I am naught but Misshapen here, there is no point of attempting to speak now. All I can do is gather information of my Mistress' betrayal for her. I keep my eyes closed, do not dare look at her as the memory continues.

"This petty creature would like to remind you, likely, of the work Shaen does when she is here...so would I. It is shoddy and without any real consequence. It poorly reflects the Council. And she expects phenomenal rewards for her work when it does little to further our cause and often plants seeds of destruction that rally against us only after she has vanished. She promises us safety for as long as she is on our Council friends...that is not a partner. That is a protection racket...a scam. We must Ban her now, friends, before she returns and persuades us once more."

It was then that I had slunk backwards. My eyes had closed and for minutes, the memory was only enhanced sound, each voice attached with the memory of the name. The discussion was too short, with little resistance. The vote settled it. It was this day that my Mistress was banned, only weeks after Ritophe similarly lost his position. Standing, unnoticed, my eyes had opened again, and I heard myself promise something.

"You will find that my Mistress is more forgiving than I...but I doubt she will forget this, Councilors. When you do regret this decision, it will be after my brothers and sisters have stolen your young and made them like us, stolen their memories and replaced them with ones that paint you poorly...though perhaps, with some of you, that last part will not be necessary. That is the better case for me, no? That your children should join willingly with natural hate to be turned against you? When that day comes, Councilors, you will find yourself sorely in need of the protection you have lost yourselves. And you will find it nowhere in this world."

The flow of memory thinned for a moment as I tried to prevent the leakage of my Mistress' emotions from effecting my clarity of mind. The pity was almost overwhelming, and I could not continue reliving these days with it so fresh and bared to me. "Mistress, your shields." I whisper aloud, and feel the emotions lift from me again, and I squeeze her hand gently as I can to reassure her. It would only be a matter of time until she was back to full power.

I was already in the process of making it happen.

No comments: